понедельник, 25 января 2010 г.

Postcard from Nadym, Russia



Nadym is a town in Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug, Russia, situated on the Nadym River. It is the administrative center of Nadymsky District.

The origin of the name is unknown. One of the most likely versions is that it derives from the Nenets word nyaidem, which translates into English as "mossy place".

Nadym was mentioned in Russian chronicles for the first time in 1598 and appeared on the Russian maps in the 18th century. But in the second half of the 19th century the settlement was deserted. In 1968, it was reestablished after the gas deposit "Medvezhye" was discovered nearby a year before. Town status since March 9, 1972.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий